8 years ago
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Sub for Santa
This year instead of doing sibling gifts we decided to take another approach to gift giving. For many years throughout our childhood I'm not ashamed to say we were the sub for Santa family. I didn't always realize how tough times were but as we have grown older I have seen the work of many little elves that God placed in our life at just the right time and moment. My Mom always worked two jobs to support us and she did just that. But when it came to the little extras there just wasn't enough. As I sit here writing this I have tears pouring down my face because we were so blessed, we never had a want unfulfilled. That was thanks to many neighbors, friends, family, coworkers and anonymous people out there. I had the idea this year that it was now our turn to give back. Growing up even though we were struggling my Mom always gave us the opportunity to serve someone else. This taught me something invaluable. Even though we didn't have everything my Mom made it a point to teach us that as the saying goes it is better to give than to receive. Johnny and I have been so blessed. Especially this past year with me graduating and I really wanted to share considering that we are so fortunate. So as a family we chose a family in need, we shopped to our hearts content not for ourselves as usual but for a family that we once were not so long ago. It was the most edifying experience walking through a store with my sisters and my Mom and being able to put things into a cart that we had all once wanted and someone had graciously given to us. We learned a great deal through this experience and for once I realized what all those little service projects and opportunities my Mom gave us taught me something that forever will be apart of my life. I want this in no way to sound egocentric, or like I'm tooting my own horn. It was just an incredible experience to once be the little girl only wishing for a basketball to now being a young woman able to give that basketball. This will become a tradition that I will cherish forever and continue as long as I'm can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
This was a very special Christmas for MANY reasons. You kids continue to be such great examples to me. You are both such giving, caring people!
Post a Comment