Again, this will most likely be a long travel log filled post. So please feel free to just glance at the pictures and I apologize for the lengthiness.
We started our trip with an early morning flight to Long Beach California. Quaint little airport everything was done outside, I don't remember going into a building once. You exited the plane on the tarmac walked around a fence where there was a belt with your bags circling around and then walked across the street to a taxi. I guess when the weather is usually a Sunny 70 degrees you can do that. We got checked into our hotel and then headed for the beach. Unfortunately we must have brought some of our Utah weather with us it was and windy and a chilly 50 degrees. But, it didn't stop us we just headed to a fantastic Mexican restaurant to wait out the storm. This was Johnny's first time to California so he was soaking up the different beach views from the opposite side of the country he is used to. After dinner we walked to the Long Beach light house and had a romantic evening walk along the beach.


The next morning we headed to the cruise terminal after a late morning breakfast in bed. Checking in was quite the ordeal. Our ship was preparing for its last sail of the Mexican Riviera and after us would be changing locations to the east coast. So getting on and off the ship were much more difficult with customs, emigration and other preparations for the transition. It seemed like we stood in lines all day, just when we were beginning to wonder if this was worth it we boarded our home away from home for the next 7 days. Trying to describe one of these "boats" is next to impossible. It is a city of its own that just so happens to float. We unpacked our things and went to check out the vast amounts of food, rooms, amenities and the ice cream bar. 





We were able to enjoy two AMAZING days of rest and relaxation at sea as our boat travel 22 knots/per hour to our first destination of Puerto Vallerta. We layed out on the deck, read books, ate ice cream, played bingo, took naps and ate. That pretty much sums up our two days at sea. Johnny did refuse sunscreen the first day. He didn't the second because he already looked like a lobster. A very attractive lobster might I add. We ate at a table of 6 with two wonderful couples that we got along with so well.
Our towel animals, every night a new surprise so fun!

Puerto Vallerta- Arrival time 0700. Johnny and I LOVE a good adventure. So while planning this trip we decided that this particular excursion was the one for us. It was aptly named the 'Extreme Canopy' and extreme it was. We left our boat at 0700, donned life vests and crammed into a speed boat. We then raced along the Mexican coastline for almost an hour at heart stopping speeds. The driver did claim to be a Mexican driver and to hold on so I guess we did have ample warning. We arrived in this incredibly small fishing village. Where we had a Mercedes open top bus waiting to take us another 45 minutes up a 45 degree inclined canyon. Lets just say bumpy, but trust me it gets only better. When we got to our destination we met our wonderful guides and donned our rappelling/zip line gear. (Harness, helmet, pulleys, gloves, carabiners etc.) Then onto our next mode of transportation...mules. Luckily mine liked to eat and Johnny's had a serious urgency and frequency issue. (All you nurses know what I mean) So what could have been a treacherous ride up a canyon was actually quite lackadaisical. All be it extremely bumpy, my bum was sore for the three days following. So finally after 3 different modes of transportation and 3 hours we arrived at the top of this incredible canyon. We took a total of 17 zip lines some 1000 feet long and 3 rappels down waterfalls into the river, and several of the zip lines landing you in water up to your neck. We had so much fun! Johnny was totally in his element, he LOVES that kind of stuff. I being a nurse was extremely worried that my rope would break, pulley would slip, crash into a tree, water would get into my mouth and I would end up in a Mexican Hospital as a para with giardea. But, after my first couple zip lines I was loving every second of it too. We uninjured and full of excitement, enjoyed dinner in the quaint little fishing village while we waited for our speed boat to race us back to our boat before it left us. We arrived in time to do a little shopping on the dock, more like getting hassled to come into every store and people practically throwing their merchandise at you. Not my kind of shopping. So we bought the few things we needed and then jumped back on the boat just in time to sail away. Off to Mazatlan...






This guide looked and acted like my cousin Brady who is on a mission, so I had to take a pic.While planning our excursions we knew that our days in Peurto Vallerat and Cabo would be crazy so we decided to just take an easy day of shopping and hanging out on the beach. Luckily they had the perfect excursion for us that taxied us into what is called the golden zone where we completed most of our souvenir shopping. This also included a free show. It was run by the Fliers a group of native Indians that tell you about their culture by song, dance and performing rituals. It was incredible some of the things they did. Like 5 of them on a 120ft pole and spinning around as they slid down ropes back to the ground. It was so awesome. The package then gave us full rein of the Playa Mazatlan. It is an all inclusive resort with access to miles of private beaches. They served us lunch and let us use all of their facilities. We enjoyed our time by just lounging under the tiki huts and taking a dip in the cold pacific. It was a really relaxing day and we enjoyed every second of it.










We arrived in Cabo early early in the morning. We were one of the first ones off the ship and were tendered into the marina. We had a busy day full of snorkeling, swimming, parasailing and exploring ahead of us. We arrived at our 60 foot catamaran and enjoyed some breakfast. Had a quick lesson on snorkeling and then headed out to the open ocean. We had only been out of the Cabo San Lucas Bay maybe minutes when we saw our first group of whales jumping up and breaching out of the water. It wouldn't be our last. We saw a total of 6 groups of whales and hundreds of dolphins throughout the day. It was INCREDIBLE!!! The dolphins just hopped along with your boat chasing after it and each other. It was quite the sight. We arrived at Chileno Bay (known for its incredible fish and coral) and donned our fins, masks and snorkels. They told us the water was 73 degrees and we all were thrilled thinking that would be warm. Uhhh no it was so cold. Johnny finally let me go back to the boat when I couldn't stop shivering underwater and my lips were blue. But before that we got to see some incredible things. You would be swimming along and notice a school of fish below you and before you knew it you were surrounded by them. They would just come swim right next to you. The coral was so beautiful and the creatures inhabiting them were interesting too. It was a unique, educational and enjoyable experience. I want to defiantly go again, but maybe in some clearer and much warmer water. They served us lunch on board as we headed back into Cabo and were so accommodating I could have layed there drying on the deck forever. We made it back just in time to do the excursion I had been looking forward to the most, Parasailing. We were sent to a speed boat with two other couples and then again headed out to the open ocean. I can't say enough about this experience. It was truly one of the most remarkable things I've ever done. There just aren't enough words to describe it. Exhilarating, breathtaking, and scary are my only attempts at portraying my experience flying 600 ft above the ocean and watching the beautiful scenes. I was able to see a family of whales with a baby right below me. It was just absolutely incredible. Johnny took our camera up with him and so he has some incredible shots from above. Very cool experience. We were famished after our day and there was this little water side Catina by the marina so we stopped in for some tacos and fresh made guac. Then made it back just in time to catch one of the last tenders going back to our ship. Although Johnny and I both said we wouldn't mind being stranded in Cabo. I know we will go back, I wouldn't mind spending a week at a condo there or something. I'll have to put that on my to do list. 

















Signing my life away for parasailing












Each port had something different to offer and each port we did something we had never done, eaten something we had never eaten, met new people, and thoroughly enjoyed our first Mexican experience together. We were heading back up the beautiful coast towards home and were able to enjoy one more day at sea. We were exhausted and relished in a day of lounging. So, I haven't talked about what we did on the boat that much. There was so much food and so many choices all the time. We never went hungry. The shows were so funny and well put together. I wasn't expected so much for being on a ship. For dinner we were seated in whats called the Captains Cabin, I don't know how we got so lucky but we were surrounded by couples just like us with no kids or interruptions. It made for some incredibly enjoyable meals that were out of this world. Every night I got the same dessert if not two. The chocolate molten cake. Enough said. Exquisitely delicious. Coco was the name of our waiter, who went well above and beyond what any waiter should. He learned our likes/dislikes, always had our table doubled over with laughter and was so accommodating. At the end I said I wanted to take him home and he said he would live in our closet, wash our cars and clothes and feed us if only Johnny would give him his watch. I wish we could have he was fantastic. Overall, I can't say enough about our experience . It was memorable, refreshing, relaxing, new, interesting, and just what we needed and wanted. I would go back and plan to sooner rather than later. We arrived in Long Beach to beautiful weather, checked back into our hotel and headed for another day of lounging on the beach. We went to the same Mexican restaurant we did a week before, it was so tasty we had to try it again. Then headed home to the beautiful snow and cold that we actually DID miss. It is always nice to be home.








4 comments:
This looks like so much fun! I'm a little green with envy.
I am so jealous! That looks like so much fun and so relaxing!
Wow! Your trip sounds awesome! Parasailing would be so amazing - I'm definitely a little jealous! You need to do all this fun stuff before you have kids, seriously!
Hey Kay, can't believe I haven't seen your awesome pics!! A little slackin thats for sure. I want to go on a vacation with you guys so bad its not even funny!! You looked so cute, I love your face on the parasailing one! :) So glad you guys had an awesome time, lets plan the next one! love you guys!!!!!!
Post a Comment